Saturday, July 12, 2008

Feeding the hungry

Once a month, St. Christopher's sends three to six people down to the Salvation Army to cook lunch for whoever shows up. We've served as many as 80 but usually have about fifty. There are three or four of us take turns being the chef, deciding on the menu and doing the shopping.

We have a lot of fun. The SA staff are great people and we look forward to seeing them every month, asking them about families and special events they've had since we were there last. They like us, too. Apparently, other organizations sign up and then don't come or they don't bother to clean up. Everyone today asked about one of our regulars who is on vacation.

We've learned some good life lessons. You can work hard to make a really good meal but there will always be someone who doesn't like it - except the dessert. No matter what's in the casserole, spray all baking pans liberally with Pam unless you like chiselling cooked food off the pan when it is empty. Service with a smile does work best. Not everyone wants to eat their vegetables and we aren't their mothers.

I admit that there are times when I haven't wanted to give up my Saturday morning for ministry but that was before I started this gig. I look forward to the second Saturday, not because I am doing some great good for the Lord but because the Lord does some great good for me.

No comments: